Friday, December 20, 2013

Indie authors on Scribd

Hey, fellow readers & writers.  There’s a new way to support indie authors.    

Smashwords announced yesterday that it has signed an agreement with Scribd, a subscription ebook service (think Netflix for ebooks).  Which means that indie authors will now be available to Scribd’s audience of 80 million people worldwide.  Authors will receive royalties for each read.  

It should be noted: there are other ebook subscription services out there, and they also carry indie books: 
  • Oyster – has some indie titles on a limited basis. 
  • Nokbok – a new service, which will be launching in early 2014.  They are all about indies. 
I couldn’t be more thrilled that these services are out there and gaining popularity.  There are a lot of novels out there that couldn’t find a niche in the traditional publishing arena that will now be able to find their audience.  Netflix has done so much for obscure, indie and foreign films, or even some films that, for whatever reason, didn’t do so great at the box office (think Shawshank Redemption). 

As a book reviewer, this will also make my job much easier in terms of seeking out and accessing new authors. 
Best of all, Smashwords authors get Scribd for free for the next year—I’m signing up today. 

You should too. 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm curious how the Scribd thing plays out now that Smashwords is uploading there. I've had books at Scribd for years but have found sales difficult to come by at a place where freebies get downloaded in bunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm eager to see how this will play out as well. I've never been on Scribd before-- either as a user or as an author, so I've gotten on there the past couple of days to check it out. I think having Smashwords on there will greatly enhance their selection. I've heard a lot of authors comment that freebies don't necessarily lead to sales, so I wonder if having a royalty per read will really make a difference to our bottom line. Did you see that if you don't want your books distributed there as a Smashwords author, you can opt out?

      Delete
  2. Great write-up, Lauren. I'm Scribd's new head of community, and we're taking writers' needs and communities VERY seriously. I love indie books and authors personally, and I've already discovered so much through Scribd that I would never had discovered without it. Can't wait for the Smashwords authors to join! I really will never stop reading.

    Let me know if I can help with anything at all-- getting books for you to review, having you curate some awesome collections, etc. I'm Carrie (at) Scribd (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carrie. Thanks for reading and commenting. Yes, I'd love to hear what curating entails and, as always, more books to read and review. I'll shoot you an email. Cheers!

      Delete