Wednesday, March 18, 2015

11 Questions for Multi-Genre Author Richard L. Foland


1. You have several ebooks available, in addition to blogging and running Pharos Publishing.  Tell us about your work.

I always wanted to be a writer, tried traditional publishing but couldn't break in, and one day I discovered Smashwords. I self-published three ebooks. Two were collections of twenty year old fan fiction that I had collecting virtual dust on a 3.5 inch floppy. I used those and my first original story, which I expanded from its original flash version.

I then told my daughter about Smashwords and I ended up putting together Pharos Publishing to put out both our stuff and that of other family and friends. I hope to expand it into a proper publishing company.

The blog was originally supposed to be my rant on politics but I realized I probably couldn't sustain that so it changed and was absorbed into the machine that is Pharos, contributing its name along the way.

2. Do you write full-time, or do you have a day job?  Does your job affect your writing?

I have day job, at night. Well, sometimes evenings. Hmmm….. I have a daily job that interferes with my writing and keeps me just under broke. So, let's just call it a ‘jub.’




3. What does your writing routine look like?

Unfortunately, at the moment, I have no routine. We're moving, my laptop was on life support and I have the aforementioned jub. When I can squeeze in some time, I try to force myself to write. This is exactly the wrong way to do things! Do NOT try this at home. When things get settled, I will sit at my kitchen table and write while I do the laundry, the dishes or cook dinner. First, I need to find the kitchen!

4. Do you stick to one genre, or do you write in multiple genres?  Why?

I write in multiple genres, I think partly because I read multiple genres and partly because I've lived a rather nomadic life. But I do like the freedom of science fiction and fantasy so I do a bit more of that. Plus, it's always fun to mix genres.



5. What do you feel has been the biggest influence on your work—not just books, but films, people, experiences, etc.?

Doctor Who. The show has this wonderful premise that allows it to tell stories across genres. One story might be horror, but then the next is an action romp and then it does a comedy, all mixed with the science fiction underpinnings of the series itself. The first thing I ever wrote was Doctor Who fan fiction, which is lost to the ether now though. The first ebook I published was a collection of a serialized Doctor Who/Highlander fan fiction I had written. I decided I wanted to see how Smashwords worked so I grabbed this twenty-year-old story and introduced it to the meatgrinder, which is Smashwords' automated process, and after tearing out what little hair I have, I produced an ebook.

6. What are you reading right now?

I recently read “Our Miss Engel,” which I hear is being expanded into a series now. I posted a review on Goodreads here. I just started Wizard of Ends by Vanessa Finaughty. 



7. Do you read your book reviews?  If so, how do you deal with negative reviews?

Sometimes I read them, yeah. The only negative review I've seen of my work so far was for that first ebook and it had nothing to say about my story or my writing so I laughed and moved on. I would hope that that would be the case even if it had torn my writing apart.

8. You use your work to promote domestic violence awareness.  Why did you choose that cause?  How do you incorporate that theme into your work?

It sort of chose me. Sit down and listen to a teenager talk about what his father did to hurt him all his life while he sobs uncontrollably or a woman describe what it feels like to be strangled near to death by the man she married and it would choose you, too.  Everyone knows it happens but we pretend it doesn't exist, or worse yet, we think we see it everywhere.

In my book, At What Price? I have a character who murders his fiancée. A couple decades later, he gets married and then she… well, you'll have to read it.



9. I understand your daughter is a writer, as well.  What does she write, and how do you think you influenced her?

Kayleigh writes poetry. I used to read to her when she was growing up. I'd do individual voices and accents for different characters. I miss that. 

10. What do you feel has been your biggest accomplishment at this point in your life?

My daughter, Kayleigh. When she was little I was her primary caregiver. Now, she is in her twenties and she loves to read and write. She's incredibly empathetic and she genuinely cares for others, even strangers. I am so proud of her.

11. Do you have a work in progress?  Can you tell us about it? 

I have multiple works in progress, in various stages of development:

I have a non-fiction religious relationship book to help people develop a deeper relationship with Christ, called Walk with God. That is supposed to be the next one published.

I have a children's Alice in Wonderland-style book called Kayleigh and the Caterpillar that I am working on, based on the bedtime stories I used to make up for Kayleigh when she was little. Kayleigh finds herself in a world of giant animals, talking bugs and odd physics.

Then there is Count the Cost which is part of the Body Donor Series, along with At What Price?  It explains the process behind body donation. I consider it to be Book One and Price? to be Book Zero. Cost will take place between 2012 and 2032 in the other book, so you could call it a midquel, or an expansion of Price?

I will also be donating a story or two to the Pharos Publishing Domestic Violence Awareness book, Twelve Shades of Crazy.

Purchase Works by Richard L. Foland, Jr.

At What Price?

Time Out of Joint

Highland Blades Quartet


About Richard

Richard L. Foland, Jr., has lived a mostly nomadic life in western Pennsylvania, southeastern Ohio and (briefly) western New York. As his life has become increasingly more settled, his faith in people, especially politicians, has become far more unsettled. He hates divorces, having been through one, and loathes large gatherings. The latter probably explains why he would prefer to sit alone at a keyboard rather than go to a party. It probably also explains why people think he might be antisocial, although he would rather they called him Uncle Social.

Connect with Richard

Thanks for reading.  Please feel free to leave questions/comments for Richard below.





No comments:

Post a Comment